I hate meal planning. For those that know me, I love to cook on the fly and adapt recipes so meal planning goes against my nature. However, it can be a time saver, budget saver, sanity saver – the list could go on. So, I will endeavour to do this and commit to this – at least for the next three weeks. Why the next three weeks? S is out of town most of the next three weeks and I am single parenting. Usually if it is for a few days, I usually do take out (Indian, sushi, McD’s) but as its going to be so much longer, our budget (and my gut) can’t handle it. I don’t think we will be eating home prepared (and I specifically used to this word as I likely won’t be cooking from scratch most weeknights) dinner every night but if I can get 6 out of 7 or 86%, I will feel like I succeeded.
Week of October 26
- Leftover Chinese BBQ pork, sunny side up fried egg
- Garlic baby bok choy from the Woks of Life – I usually don’t follow a recipe but this is a good one for those looking for direction. I usually add a little Shaoxing wine or chicken broth (if I have some leftover in the fridge).
- served with Jasmine rice
- Pierogi / Perogies (Frozen Pelman ones from Costco) with sour cream
- Cucumber Salad (from Lauren’s Latest)
- Pasta and tomato/meat sauce with bell peppers and mushrooms
- Frozen shrimp wontons, noodles and baby spinach in chicken broth
- Take out!!!
- Chili from Allrecipes.com – we usually do Pizza on Halloween night but because it s a weekend, I should be able to put something in the slow cooker
- Salad (chopped Baja from Costco)
- Jalapeno cornbread muffins from Damn Delicious – I haven’t tried this recipe yet but another recipe from Chungah and her recipes have never steered me wrong.
- Creamy mushroom spaghetti from Erren’s Kitchen – last time I made it, I added rotisserie chicken and kale. Might do something similar again.
So a little bit of “cooking” and quite a bit of frozen prepared foods. Writing it down and getting through the week wasn’t so bad. Wish me luck and share with me your ideas for meal planning. I clearly need more inspiration! 🙂